Sunday 1 March 2015

Something's rotten. . . .

Some jobs loom over one for years; this is one of them. I made a start this weekend, doing about as much as one can until the frost is out of the ground. First of all, here is the problem: Partly because of the damp in the workshop cellar, partly because of the quaint local custom of boarding up DIRT as an insulator, a number of joists (six) had rotted.
It did not help that they had been installed on 24-inch centres. As a result, the floor sagged badly, and my table saw seemed destined to plunge deep in the cold, dark ground. Yesterday and today I tore out the worst of the joists and installed new 2 by 8s, with a carry beam supported on jack posts.

Dealing with the wires that were strung through the joists was troublesome, but my trusty reciprosaw made pretty short work of cutting notches and freeing the cables. When the frost leaves the ground, I'll pour some sturdy footings and complete the job. The chimney is in the way, but I'll have to wait a few months to take that out. I'm always surprised at how picturesque this hell hole looks in photos. It gives me hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment