Saturday 17 October 2015

Early Snow

It is well before Hallowe'en, and yet we have snow. It began as a drizzle--annoyingly, because I was trying to shingle the area under the bay window--and then turned to big, lazy flakes. These all disappeared as they hit the ground (or the dogs). I went down in the basement to work on the furnace. When I came up, I found that the ground was lightly carpeted; the snow had started to accumulate. Now, to the northeast I see the grass covered in a pale blanket, and the trees deeper in the woodlot are partly hidden by a gray haze. This is not the earliest substantial snow I recall, but it's pretty close. I well remember the year the snow came on Hallowe'en and stayed until April. I hope we aren't in for one of THOSE. The fall colours were late in coming and when they appeared they were a little muted. The snow sets them off nicely, though!
UPDATE: It snew all evening, and the forecast high for the day is only 4 degrees, so I think this will be with us for some time. After a brilliant dawn, the day settled down to dreary clouds. Below is Ye Olde Wishing Well; I know what I'm bloody wishing!

No comments:

Post a Comment