Tuesday 15 December 2015

The Iceman Cometh

The weekend was eerily bright and mild. On Sunday I panted about, dragging away most of the scaffolding and storing it in the tractor shed. I managed to patch the corner of the wall above the cellar entrance; I realize this has been on my list since we re-roofed the back of the house (nine years ago?). I put the Corolla away for the winter, and managed to squeeze in the chipper and lawn tractor as well. Then I closed up the doors of the sheds and workshop; there was a feeling of urgency about it all, as though this was the Last Day Before Winter. So it turned out; Monday's fall of slush continued through the night, and on Tuesday the world looked very different. Most of the schools are closed--but not the University. We could hear the rattle of hail on the windows and roofs all night long. In the morning, the gentle world of the weekend had been replaced by an icy, stormy wasteland.

No comments:

Post a Comment