Friday 18 March 2016

More Neutral Tones

We had quite a heavy snowfall today. Yesterday, the roads were a nightmare. I could not get up Stanley Hill--near the crest, the tires just spun, even with traction control. I did a reasonable three point turn and took the highway into Fredericton. Even on the main road, I had trouble. Ascending one of the long hills at c. 90 km, I found myself slipping while trying to maintain speed. I passed a number of accident sites.
 On the way home that evening, conditions were much better.  I had no trouble with the hills, and no one seemed to be slipping off the road. Still, speeds were generally low, and people seemed cautious.






 Today, there was a gentle but significant snowfall. All the trees had a thick coating, and the sky was sufficiently overcast to produce that generally monochrome atmosphere.   This was in the early morning--more snow arrived during the day, and when I arrived home I saw that Pat had made a brief stab at the driveway. He ran the plow up to the end and then turned and left. This was a little odd; the situation has not improved.
The dogs were quite happy with the conditions. Ollie occasionally crashed through the crust and had to bound his way out, but on the whole t he dogs were strongly pro-snow. Valla rolled about very happily, and only the possibility of extra food kept Frey from keeping his station in the trek. 


I can enjoy snow when I know it cannot last long. All of this will be gone quite soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment