Monday 29 July 2019

Personal Vise

This is my old drill press, a Delta from about 26 years ago. I've long schemed about adding a cutting fluid dispenser, and I finally set about it in the simplest way imaginable. First, I screwed a gas tank from a lawnmower to the top of the drive belt cover. Then I ran some fuel line to a shut-off valve, and from there a longer piece descended to the work area. I fitted a tapered nozzle from a blowgun to the end. Then I ran a piece of malleable lashing wire along the last six inches and wrapped it in silicon tape. Finally, I braced the hose to the light ring mounted above the chuck. This allowed me to aim the nozzle with some degree of control. Repairing the lawn tractor's trailer gave me the chance to use it. I had to fit a longer axle for the new wheels. You can see a piece of 5/8 round stock in the cross slide vise. I ground a small area flat, pinged it with the centre punch, turned on the cutting fluid, and presto! The bit went through like a hot knife through butter! Dad would have had such fun with this....


I picked up the vise on sale at Princess Auto, and at first I was very disappointed. It was so stiff it seemed to be seized. However, I loosened the guides and eventually I persuaded it to work quite smoothly. I have to say, the light (also from PA) is also a great addition.

No comments:

Post a Comment