Wednesday 25 November 2020

Tree Go!

The elm by the workshop has been troubling me for years. This morning I set out to dismantle the sump pump because the temperature dipped to about -9C last night; I worried I might already be too late. However, I found the pump churning away quite happily. As I studied the discharge pipe, which emerged amidst the sucker growth on the elm, I noticed that there was not a breath of wind--exactly the sort of day I had been waiting for, and quite surprising after about 18 hours of violent winds, starting in the wee hours of Monday. I sharpened my trusty Husqy, and set to work. I cut an open-faced notch, and then dropped the elm quite neatly between two red pines. 

As a bonus, the butt came to rest above the sump pump line without crushing it in the least!

Soon the tree will become firewood. I'm quite curious about how it will burn. I might just stack it in the "wet" end of the woodshed, because our woodpiles are tarped for the winter. I think we have about two cords of seasoned wood left in the shed--I hope it's enough! Winters are so unpredictable.



1 comment: