Tuesday 27 July 2021

Rotary Issues

 The throbbing rotor has been cured. It was one of the worst yet. My usual method for stubborn rotors is to cut into the raised drum so that I can force a chisel between the hub and the rotor. In this case, I cut all around and separated the raised centre from the rotor face before I could break it free. Tommy suggests using No Seize; I've used such products before (and messed up the wheel nuts on the van with it), but perhaps the Bostik brand will yield better results. I realize that the reverse face of the disk was the problem. I think the slides seized so that the inner pad remained constantly on and built up a thick glaze on the rotor surface. When I freed the caliper and slides, the inner pad was able to press more firmly, and this cracked away part of the glaze, creating an uneven surface that throbbed like a warped rotor. Anyway, it's smooth as silk and the car is getting better gas mileage. 


No comments:

Post a Comment