Thursday 8 August 2019

Summer Shower

Just as I was leaving for the Island, we found that the upstairs shower was not only partly blocked (probably by a chunk of mineral deposit) but quite irreparable, as the hex screw for removing the single tap had fused to the metal shell.

While I was on the Island, Joanne demolished the closet, exposing the tap and pipes. I then spent a long morning putting in the new shower valve, spout, and shower head.

The pipes required 13 sweat-soldered joints and 6 threaded ones. Astonishingly, when I turned the water back on, nothing leaked!

At some point in the fairly distant past, I installed two compression type shutoff valves, which still work and are sufficiently sturdy to continue using. The sad part of all this is that we were in the process of overhauling the entire bathroom, so the offending valve would have been replaced shortly, could it have held together for another month or two.






No comments:

Post a Comment